Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Free Time

The last time I remember being bored was in 2nd grade. It was a summer day, and I didn't know what to do with myself. We weren't going to the pool that day, I didn't want to play outside for some reason, and my mom didn't want me to make a mess with paints or play dough. I'm sure I had already practiced piano for 20 minutes and finished all of my library books. We didn't watch t.v. at the Hedrick household, and I must have been "nerf-gun-war"ed out. I was bored. One day.

Fast forward to the present day and I find myself finishing a summer where I actually had some free time. A chance to be bored...my only chance since that 2nd grade day. I'm one to live life to the fullest...and by fullest, I partially mean, a slam-packed schedule. I've had jobs from middle school on, from babysitting to teaching dance to summer camps to church pianist. I don't know life outside of school, whether taking classes or teaching them. Outside of work, we're always trying to get together with friends or get involved with the community. No boredom, no free time.

This summer was the first time since that second grade day that I could have been bored. I had not even given myself the chance to be bored with the non-stop activities through middle school, high school, grad school, and the first years of teaching. It was hilarious to think that I could find a hobby. Time for a hobby?! What?!! Outside of music?!!! What?!!! I've never had a hobby!

I decided if I had the time, I would try to do the things I never wanted to do in my "tomboy" days...like cooking and sewing. I wanted to learn more recipes, learn to garden, learn to can & preserve, learn to make curtains & pillows & stationery. Of course, I haven't had time to do ALL of these things, but they're in my long range plans. If I still have time, I would like to learn a new language, learn SOMEthing about art or pottery, and learn to sail.

So this little post comes down to this...I haven't made time for free time or hobbies in my life. I thought I didn't even have a hobby. I think I may have even been afraid of the idea of free time or being bored. But, this summer when I had the free time and I went to decide what my hobbies would be, I realized I DID have a hobby. My hobby is for learning. Learning something. anything. but something. All along I've had a full schedule with so many things to do, that often revolved around learning. And when I found myself with a break, I wanted nothing more than to learn something else. Learning for learning's sake...a fantastic hobby! School starts again tomorrow, so I'll have less free time, but lucky me, I still get time for my hobby! Whoo hoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment